PNG Now Included in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker Program

PNG Now Included in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker Program


The Australian High Commission to Papua New Guinea has through its website, announced that Papua New Guinea is now included in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker program.
The Commission elaborated that Papua New Guinean citizens can apply to travel, work and study in Australia for up to 12 months.
Likewise, Australians can also apply for a work and holiday visa to PNG.
From Immigration:

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. You must enter Australia within 12 months of the date we grant it. We will not extend or defer this timeframe. 

The visa becomes active on the date you enter Australia. Once you have entered and the visa is activated, you can:

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like in that 12 months

Please Note:

  • You do not need to apply for another visa to enter Australia, such as an eVisitor (subclass 651) visa, once you have been granted your Work and Holiday Visa.
  • If you apply for and are granted another visa (such as subclass 651 visa) after the grant of your Work and Holiday visa, your Work and Holiday visa will cease on the date that visa is granted.
  • If your first Work and Holiday visa ceased due to the grant of another visa, such as an eVisitor visa, and you entered Australia on that other visa, you will not be able to apply for another first Work and Holiday visa while you are in Australia. 

Working & Holiday Visa

This visa lets people 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip.

You can:

Who can apply

You must be aged 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) when you apply.

You must not have previously entered Australia on a:

  • Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)
  • Working Holiday visa (subclass 417).

You must meet our education requirement.

You must have at least Functional English.

You must have enough money to:

  • support yourself while you are in Australia and
  • leave Australia at the end of your stay.

Meet health and character requirements


If you are interested to apply or want to know more information, you can contact the Australian Immigration Office.

For those who would like to get more information or to proceed further on their interest, you can complete this form