434 total views, 2 views today
Papua New Guinea is blessed with fresh fruits and vegetables. It’s not hard to find them and given the associated health benefits they, the opportunity to consume a healthy diet for us is real.
It’s mango season now and they’re all different kind of mangoes being sold at markets and on the streets. Many of the mangoes that sell on streets are those picked from the trees around the house. Fresh as they come.
From Healthline.com here are nine reasons why mangoes are healthy for you and should be part of your diet. But before we outline those, there are two important reasons we’d like to point out.
The first – your buying local and it’s cheap. The second – you’re helping a wantok.
1. Mango is low in calories yet high in nutrients — particularly vitamin C, which aids immunity, iron absorption and growth and repair.
2. Mango is a good source of folate, several B vitamins, as well as vitamins A, C, K and E — all of which help boost immunity.
3. Mango contains magnesium, potassium and the antioxidant mangiferin, which all support healthy heart function.
4. Mango has digestive enzymes, water, dietary fiber and other compounds that aid different aspects of digestive health.
5. Mango contains lutein, zeaxanthin and vitamin A — which support eye health. Lutein and zeaxanthin may protect from the sun, while a lack of vitamin A can create vision problems.
6. Mango contains vitamin C, which gives your skin its elasticity and prevents sagging and wrinkling. It also provides vitamin A, which promotes healthy hair.
7. Mango polyphenols may fight oxidative stress, which is linked to colon, lung, prostate, breast and bone cancers.
8. Mango is delicious and can be enjoyed in many ways. However, it contains more sugar than many other fruits. Enjoy mango in moderation by limiting it to under two cups (330 grams) per day.
Bottom line –
Mango is rich in vitamins, mineral and antioxidants and has been associated with many health benefits, including potential anticancer effects as well as improved immunity, digestive, eye, skin and hair health.
Best of all, it’s tasty and easy to add to your diet as part of smoothies and other dishes.