1,947 total views, 2 views today
The Royal Papua Yacht Club turns 100 this year and we’ve listed some historical facts you might find interesting.
- The club catered for canoe racing, sailing, power boating, water skiing and game fishing
- It was founded by Arthur Travers
- The Club was first known as the Port Moresby Aquatic Club
- It was the club’s first commodore that started canoe racing
- Expatriate residents hired foot long canoes and equipped and paid for local crews
- Lt. Governor Sir Hubert Murray was the first club Patron and Mr H.L. Murray the vice-Commodore
- Governor General of Australia Lord Foster visited in 1924 and presented a trophy for the Vice Regal Handicap
- Membership of the club was 30 in 1930 including 6 ladies
- The club had a break due to the war and reopened in a house owned by Bob Munro whose son was killed during services in the RAAF. The house was given as a memorial to their son.
- In 1950 9 boats were recorded in the club register.
- The Clubhouse was extended from the original Munro residence in 1953. One of its first guests was HM Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by HRH of Edingburgh in 1954.
- In 1957, the club changed its name to Papua Yacht Club gaining Regal charter in 1977.